Monday, July 05, 2004

Happy 4th of July

Well we had a wonderful service at church this morning. My pastor's sister was in from Virginia and it is always a blessing having her at church. Then at 4:00 we had a cookout at my mom's house. I made pasta salad, strawberry shortcakes and burnt up 2 of my mom's burner covers!!! LOL!! Maybe that was a sign I need to stay away from the stove!! Actually, in my defense it was just because my mom's knobs on her stove are completely backward from mine. I do know how to cook....I really do!!! ;-) Anyway, we had a wonderful cookout with burgers, chicken and porkchops, and all the trimmings. It was great. Then, we went to Mebane tonight for the annual July 4th fireworks display. My friend Crystal and her husband and kids went with me and my kids. We had been there about an hour sitting out on the grass having a good time, when they make an announcement that a storm is coming in and for everyone to go to their cars and they will notify us when they get ready to do the fireworks. We figure they will wait til the rain stops, then go on with the fireworks. WRONG! They did the fireworks in the pouring rain!! We stood outside the car like idiots, getting soaked, just to watch the fireworks!! Maybe I don't get out enough, huh? LOL. But, on a much more positive note, I just want to say that today has meant a lot to me. Everyone was celebrating their national freedom, and that is wonderful.....I thank God that we live in a free country. But I was also celebrating my spiritual freedom! And that, to me, means so much more. We do live in a free country, but there are also several laws that we must obey that, in my opinion, infringes on our freedom at times. Personally, I think if I want to get in my car and not hook my seat belt, that should be my choice. But the law tells me that I MUST hook my seatbelt or pay a fine if I get caught with it not hooked. There are many restaurants that are "smoke-free", which means that smokers do not have the freedom to go in and light up if they want to eat there. And tops on my list.....my children can't go to school and have prayer and talk about God, because....Heaven forbid....it might infringe on SOMEONE ELSE'S rights! So, that being said.....we do live in a "free" country, but our freedom has its limits. The freedom God has given to me, however, has no limits. Jesus said in John 8:36 "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." God freed me from the bonds of sin through the blood of Jesus Christ. No government, or president, or army, or political power could ever do that for me. God gave His Son so that I could be free. He freed me not only from my sin, but from the desires to sin. Oh, sure, sometimes the devil sneaks in and tempts us with things that are our weaknesses, but as far has having a desire to live life the way I did before......God freed me from that. God also freed me from having to go to hell. Instead, He has promised me a mansion in Heaven where there will be no more sadness or fear or pain. Now that's the kind of freedom I'm talking about!! God has also given me freedom from worry. In Philippians 4:19 it says " But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." That means that whatever I need, God is going to see to it that I have it. So I am free from worrying about that! God also granted me freedom from fear. II Timothy 1:7 says " For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." So although I hold my freedom as an American dear to my heart, and I thank God for it....I have to say that the freedom I value most is my freedom that has been given to me by the Lord. I hope that each of you has a blessed week and I hope you take time to reflect on the freedoms that you have been given. Until next time....be blessed!

No comments: