Thursday, July 15, 2004

Time to change the bulb?

I haven't posted in a few days but I have had this thought running through my mind all day so I figured I would share. This is what I have been thinking:

People who don't believe there is a God or who refuse to serve Him are always quick to try to convince someone else of their beliefs. There are numerous websites out there just for people to preach against God. Even the ones that are supposedly Christian websites are sometimes wolves in sheep's clothing. If you don't believe me, just do a search for the word "God" or "Christian" or something like that and click on several of the results. Now, don't get me wrong....I am a FIRM believer in free speech. That is the very thing that makes us able to witness to those who are lost without God. But, my problem lies in the fact that most Christians don't take full advantage of that unalienable right. By that, I mean that the people who want to preach against God are doing exactly what Christians are SUPPOSED to be doing. They are going out trying to convert people. Then we sit back and complain because there aren't more people coming to know God. Luke 14:23 says "And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled." Yet, the agnostics, atheists, and followers of false religions are the ones going out trying to compel people. We sit back waiting for someone else to do the job. Well, they are doing it. And people are dropping off into hell every day because of it.

I know sometimes it is hard to witness to others. But there are all different ways to witness. For one thing, live your life so that others may see something in you. I am very hard on myself. When I make a mistake or succumb to a fleshly desire it is so hard for me to forgive myself. I want so much to be a light that when I make a mistake I feel (temporarily) like I have ruined everything. But I have to go on past that and realize that God has made me a new creature. Yes, I still make mistakes. I always will. But I am certainly not what I used to be. And that is where God can use us. When people look at us and say "you know there is just something different about so-and-so" that's when God can work through us. For example, when I was out in the world I had a filthy mouth. I would say just about any and every curse word known to man. I think there were times I even made some up!! But now I speak with a new tongue. God has helped me to rid myself of that habit. I am only human, and sometimes I still say things I shouldn't say. But anyone who knew me then would definitely be able to tell a difference now, just by speaking to me for 5 minutes and I wouldn't even have to mention the fact that I love the Lord. They would notice that I talk different. I don't use all those curse words I used to use. That's just one example. There are many others I could use. I am just not the same person I used to be. Thank God! And I want to win others to the Lord. But in order to do that I have to let them see something in me. Something worth wanting. Who wants to change their life to something that is just as bad as what they had before?? Think about it.

I have looked at quite a few "anti-Christian" websites and the thing that comes across most predominantly on all of them is the fact that they feel most Christians are hypocrites. Yes, that is just an excuse, but why give them an excuse to use? Is satan using you to hinder someone else? If you are not letting your light shine, then yes, you are being used to hinder others. And we must be careful what we say to others. Words have so much power. Ecclesiastes 5:2 says "Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few." Some of us just plain talk TOO MUCH!! And Matthew 12:34 says "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." That simply means that what is in your heart will eventually show through the things that you say. Have you ever noticed that you can learn alot about a person simply by listening to them talk alot? For example, if someone is racist, you will eventually find it out if you listen to them long enough. People tell on themselves. Why? Because "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh". So get your own heart right before you try to witness to others. That's why so many people appear to be hypocrites. Because they talk a good game, but if you listen to them long enough, the real truth comes out. People are always listening. Even when you sometimes think they aren't. And to someone who is looking for a reason to reject God and anything having to do with Him, they are just waiting for you to say or do something that justifies their decision. Now, I know we can't always be perfect. But that is no reason to stop trying. You are always leading someone. Whether it is to heaven or hell is up to you. Don't let the evildoers be the witnesses of the world. Let your light shine! "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." Matthew 5:14.



No comments: