Sunday, July 24, 2005

Something to share

I received an email tonight from a lady I had never met. She had ran across the church website and emailed me because she said she was encouraged by what she had read. She is in a bad position and has no family or friends around her. It always breaks my heart to hear of someone going through such a bad time. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own lives that we fail to look around and see others that are hurting. It is our job, as servants of Christ, to help those that are lonely and hurting. We must show love to those around us. More often times than not, we are quick to judge and talk about those around us who are in a bad position. I know when I had walked away from God and was living in the world I was miserable. And I know that there were some people who proclaim themselves as Christians who were readily putting me down and judging me instead of praying for me and trying to help me back up. Now, don't get me wrong...there were many that tried to talk to me and encourage me to turn back to the Lord. But I wonder sometimes, just which category do we fall in? Are we like the scribes and Pharisees that were ready to stone the woman that was caught committing adultery. How many of us would have stood, stones in hand, ready to judge and condemn her? And how many of us would have been like Jesus, running to her rescue, ready to help her? All of us at some time or another have been in the position where we were not exactly where God wanted us to be. None of us are perfect. But I think sometimes we get so full of our own selves that we forget that and tend to think that we are better than others. I don't want to ever get to that point. I know there is nothing that I have done that could ever make me deserving or worthy of God's grace and mercy. We need to show that same love and mercy to others to help them along their way. After all, shouldn't we all be working to help each other make it Home? I'm not just talking about ministering to the lost, either. There are many of God's children that are sick and hurting and have fallen back on their journey. Those of us that are standing firm have an obligation to reach out that helping hand. I don't really even know how I got on this subject tonight, but obviously it was meant for me to say it! I would like to leave you with John 8:3-12 and I want you to ask yourself which side you would have been on? Until next time, be blessed (and be a blessing to others!)....

3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
12Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

No comments: